Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What Would Jesus Do?

The other day my companion and I didn't know why we needed to walk down this certain street. It was dark, we were about a mile from home, and it was getting late. We said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father where we needed to go. We felt that the street we were on was where we needed to be, so we kept walking. Then we came to this cute little cafe where a woman was sitting outside by herself. We said hi to her and asked how her night was going. Looking into the cafe we saw there was a big crowd inside that she had seperated herself from. Wondering why, we asked her if she was okay. She began to cry. She told us her fears of crowds and how she thought she would be able to overcome just this one night but she just couldn't combat it. We talked with her. We told her that God loves her and knows her. We hugged her. She thanked us for stopping and went on her way.

I don't know the struggle that anyone around me is having at this very moment. I can't read their thoughts. I don't know their hearts. But God does. He knows you and I, very personally. He may not be able to physically be with us right now but that is why He has you and I. We are His daughters and He has sent all of us here to lift, encourage, love, and comfort just as sisters should do for each other.

As I have been on my mission I have met some amazing women that have had a great impact on my life. I've also met many women that I could never see myself loving in a sisterly way, but yet I have tried my hardest to reach out with a helping hand to them. I've come to realize that yes, you and I are so different, however we will always have one thing in common. We are daughters of God, we are sisters, and we need each other!

My little sister, Kallie, is my best friend! I don' think there is anything I wouldn't do for her. Why do we, as women, not have that same love for all the other daughters of God around us, despite the differences we do have?

Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson stated a fact in which I take very seriously now. She said "To be sisters implies that there is an unbreakable bond between us. Sisters take care of each other, watch out for each other, comfort each other, and are there for each other through thick and thin. The Lord has said, “I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.”

I get so sad as I see the world becoming more and more selfish and not kind. It is like finding golden treasure when you find a friend who you know truly cares about you. As women I vote we change this!

Let's lift each other rather than point out our differences. Let's speak kindly, instead of ridicule. Let's put the feeling of love towards our sisters over the feeling of jealousy. Let's reach outside our circles and welcome someone different in. Let's be willing to respond to the little voice in our heads nudging us to go help the elderly women put her groceries in her car. Let's stand up as sisters in Christ and show the world that God does exist through our love and actions towards one another.

The famous saying "What Would Jesus Do" just popped into my mind.

He tells us what to do:
"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." -John 13:34

"The Savior has commanded us to love one another as he has loved us; to clothe ourselves “with the bond of charity” as he so clothed himself. We are called upon to purify our inner feelings, to change our hearts, to make our outward actions and appearance conform to what we say we believe and feel inside. We are to be true disciples of Christ." -Howard W. Hunter

Let's do what Jesus Christ has commanded us to do and love our sisters around us! Let's make the world happy again!








4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful message to women of all ages!! My husband has a great niece that is in 8th grade and she is being bullied by other girls. It breaks my heart and if girls and women would just be more like the Savior and love and uplift, like you suggest, the world would be a little piece of heaven. Thank you for your wonderful example and for listening to the Holy Spirit and following those promptings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your sweet comment!! I believe so strongly that we are all sisters and that in such a difficult world we need to rally together and be unified! I will keep your family member in my prayers. Bullying is such a difficult situation that shouldn't even exist. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My that was great! I have two daughters my oldest is constantlly bollied for her hair or herclothes..its sad..really it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear that, Sister Taylor! It IS so sad...I hope she doesn't define who she is by what others say to her. She is a beautiful daughter of God!!

      Delete