Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Be Salt not Sugar

Mmm I can just smell those fresh homemade chocolate chip cookies coming out into the oven. When I think of chocolate anything I always think of those skinny models eating Dove chocolate so perfectly on commercials. My companion and I don't eat Dove chocolates or chocolate chip cookies so graceful!
I love to bake! Cakes, especially cookies, bread, and pies! Mmm I just love it so much! I learned how to bake a lot from my Aunt who lived with me for a while. She is the master chef! Of course we always load up on the sugar when making yummy chocolate chip cookies but there's one ingredient that you can't forget or else it might taste a little off. Can y'all guess what it is?
 
SALT!
Who would have thought, right? Not me!
 
So many people use salt to add just that final ingredient to a delicious meal. Salt will
enhance the taste but you hardly ever use a lot of it on anything.
What does salt have to do with anything?
 
In Matthew 5:13 it says "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour,
wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but
to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of man."
 
When I read this I thought there is way too much sugar in the world, as in the same type
of person. It's hard to find the salt of the world that hasn't lost it's flavor.
 
                       EVERYONE IS TURNING INTO SUGAR!
 
We were all created as individuals so why don't we all become individuals? Why is it such a "thing" with us women to be just like the next coolest girl? Why can't we be happy and comfortable with who we are, who God has made us to be?
 
I've learned over my mission that it's okay to desire to have have attributes that someone has but it's not okay to want to become completely like them. It's actually breaking one of the ten commandments when we do that. #commandment10
 
I have a dear friend who is so close and special to my heart. Her name is Sister Hargadon. She is salt for sure. She is so confident in who she is and is a light to so many people. She has let the world become her playground and used each one of her life experiences to make her the INDIVIDUAL she is today. When I first met her I wished I had the energy for the mission, the way she helped people feel comfortable, the light, the earthiness, and so many other things that she had. I wanted to be her. As I was around her for about 6 months I learned that the things she had I couldn't take because I wasn't her. I am Hermana Schmit and I am different but I was able to learn from her. She taught me to open my heart and see things in a different light and to connect with who I really was as a Daughter of God. I always call her my soul sister because I feel like she helped me open my soul. She helped me become "salt of the earth" instead of just some more sugar.
 
Sisters of all ages!! Don't desire to be someone else. Be You! Learn from others, and apply their teaching to your life but don't lose your savour just to become the prettier than the prettiest, richer than the richest, or more popular than the most popular. Remember the salt is the least amount of an ingredient that you put into those delicious cookies you love, but it makes all the difference.
                                                         
                                               Be the "salt of the earth".
 
 
 
Click to read a great talk by a living apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ: The Moral Force of Women

No comments:

Post a Comment